[rhelv6-list] Install 32-Bitt runtime libraries

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Tue Nov 16 15:24:55 UTC 2010

Greg_Swift at aotx.uscourts.gov (Greg_Swift at aotx.uscourts.gov) said:
> > I have installed a fresh system with "Red Hat Enterprise Linux
> > Server release 6.0 (Santiago)" but in the default installation
> > of a  Software Development Workstation the 32-bit runtime libraries
> > are missing
> > The command     yum list *.i?86  gave me a list of the available
> > packages. But its a little bit tedious to install each package
> separately.
> >  I would prefer a 'yum groupinstall' to get all needed libraries at once.
>
> I would suggest checking to see if `yum install *.i?86` does what you want.

Also, check 'man yum.conf', search for 'multilib_policy':

  multilib_policy Can be set to 'all' or 'best'. All means install all possible
     arches for any package  you want to install. Therefore yum install foo will
     install foo.i386 and foo.x86_64 on x86_64, if it is available. Best means
     install the best arch for this platform, only.

The default is 'best'; you can set it to 'all'. (Note that frobbing of this
config is not supported in anaconda itself, but you can certainly specify
<foo>.i686 in kickstart.)

Bill