[rhelv6-list] [rhelv5-list] Recent changes to RPMforge (fwd)

Sam Sharpe lists.redhat at samsharpe.net
Fri Nov 19 00:18:27 UTC 2010

On 18 November 2010 23:18, Dag Wieers <dag at wieers.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to let everyone know that with the release of RHEL6 we changed a
> few things with regards to RPMforge. The most important aspect is that by
> default RPMforge will _not_ replace base packages.
>
> All newer packages in RPMforge that update base package (eg. subversion) are
> now stored in the rpmforge-extras repository, which is disabled by default.
>
> This change is effective immediately and affects RHEL2, RHEL3, RHEL4, RHEL5
> and RHEL6 repositories.

This is great news for people who love RPMForge and would like to
enable it without risk to their "supported" packages.

I would like to  I ask a follow-up question...

If there is a package provided by EPEL, which is also provided by
RPMForge (in a similar or updated version), will that package be in
RPMForge or RPMForge-extras?

The reason I ask this is because I have always been a fan of RPMForge,
but my organisation is standardising on EPEL - and I would like to be
able to safely enable both base repositories...

--
Sam