[rhelv6-list] Serial login tty on a RHEL6 Xen domU?

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Sat Nov 20 12:39:45 UTC 2010

Matthias Saou wrote:

> Does anyone know if it's possible to get everything set up so that I
> can log into the RHEL6 domU from the RHEL5 dom0 after a simple "xm
> console"?

The typical "cry for help, then figure it out within minutes".

I reinstalled a new RHEL6 domU, passing --nographics to virt-install,
and anaconda set up everything just fine. Things are quite different
from RHEL6, mostly because of how init is now configured, but I saw the
difference : hvc0 vs. xvc0.

On the graphically installed RHEL6 domU, I just needed to put
"console=hvc0" on the kernel command line (instead of xvc0 to which I
was used to), and everything worked from there :
 * Kernel boot messages still got displayed (they were with xvc0 too)
 * System boot messages started being displayed without further changes
 * An agetty login process got spawned automatically
 * Even hvc0 got added to /etc/securetty automatically!

Solved, and working nicely :-)

Matthias