[rhelv6-list] [rhelv5-list] [HOWTO] Running Xen 4.0 dom0 (host) on RHEL6

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Tue Nov 23 10:11:06 UTC 2010

robinprice at gmail.com wrote :

> Just out of curiosity,
>
> why would someone want to run Xen over KVM in RHEL6?

In my case, I can think of various reasons :
 * I already have puppet modules, classes and definitions to manage Xen
   dom0 servers and all of their domU configurations.
 * I already have puppet modules using stored configurations to
   automatically enable nagios monitoring for all servers and
   transparently set a whole bunch of Xen specific details : dom0 as
   the parent node, dom0 monitoring of which Xen domUs are running,
   domU facts about their dom0, etc.
 * All of my internal documentation about Xen is complete, clean and
   fully updated. Ready to be followed.

Given the above, switching to anything other than Xen will require a
significant amount of work in order to get to the same level. I'm not
saying it won't happen... but I do plan to stick with RHEL5 dom0s for a
while instead of jumping onto the KVM bandwagon :-) RHEL6 dom0s would
be another interesting option, though I would definitely feel more
comfortable sticking with RHEL5 and Xen 3, which I know inside out.

Matthias

Fedora release 13 (Goddard) - Linux kernel 2.6.33.6-147.2.4.fc13.x86_64
Load : 0.04 0.45 0.34