[rhelv6-list] [HOWTO] Running Xen 4.0 dom0 (host) on RHEL6

Pasi Kärkkäinen pasik at iki.fi
Tue Nov 23 18:51:54 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 06:54:02PM -0500, Mike Khusid wrote:
>  Pasi,
>
> A few comments about the HOWTO.

All feedback is appreciated :)

> You recommend to disable SELinux.  SELinux underwent very significant
> updates between RHEL5 and RHEL6 and I would encourage you to try keeping
> it enabled.  I wouldn't be surprised if it "just works".

Yep, it's the "old bad habbit".. I'll try it out with SElinux and update
the tutorial. IIRC earlier there was some simple issue,
so it might very well just work today..

> In case you need to provide an additional SELinux policies, here are
> guidelines for SELinux policy modules:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/SELinux/PolicyModules.  I
> am a fan of having policy as a separate subpackage.

Thanks. I just noticed SElinux policy bug in fedora 389ds rpms two weeks ago,
so that would be another good candidate to practice with :)

> Another comment is venerable "rpm -Uvh".  RHEL6 introduces "yum history"
> which is a very handy way of knowing what was installed when... and
> reverting it as needed... but it needs yum command to be used.   Could
> you please replace those rpm commands with "yum localinstall
> --nogpgcheck" (you'll need the latter option for your instructions,
> unless you want to add steps to produce signed rpms).

Ok, thanks for that aswell. Good to know.

> This won't make Red Hat support Xen in RHEL6, of course :)  But these
> are "good things to do".

:)

Thanks for the reply and suggestions!

-- Pasi