[rhelv6-list] Kernel errors under kvm guest using e1000

carlopmart carlopmart at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 08:52:26 UTC 2011

On 04/18/2011 07:37 PM, Gary Gatling wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am totally a kvm "noob" so take what I say with a grain of salt. ;)
>
> But I have been using it more and more lately.
>
> If I was in a similar situation, which I might be later as I try to add
> more different distros into kvm vms in my "library" I would try a
> different virtual network type. Like I see in virt-manager it says there
> are:
>
> ne2k_pci
>
> pcnet
>
> rtl8139
>
> as well as virtio and e1000 types of adapters you can pick. I know
> nothing about these...
>
> I would try to install with all of those other types, one by one and see
> if any work, before I would give up. maybe one of them won't panic the
> guest OS? Then even if the adapter is the problem maybe this could work
> around it? I've only used virto and e1000. But I think the using e1000
> was just a guess. My problems might have been random and a
> misconfiguration on my part and seem to have gone away recently even
> using virtio. But I also installed some weird stuff like gentoo and it
> worked ok until I broke it. (need to make backups with that distro I
> learned)
>
> Another thing to try might be the numbers? Like what happens if you just
> use 1 interface instead of 7? This is a all just guessing. Like I said I
> am a kvm noob.
>
> Hope that helps,

Thanks Gary, but I can't do this. I can substitute one e1000 interface
with ne2k_pci or pcnet or rtl8139 ... but the others six, needs to run
e1000 driver because is the only driver that supports 1GB.

But I am thinking about to use two virtual e1000 interfaces only, and
use VLANs to deploy the rest networks that I need in this guest.

  Can this will work?? Can i configure one vlan wih 4095 id like in
vmware esxi does to see all vlans for a particular virtual bridge??

Thanks.

--
CL Martinez
carlopmart {at} gmail {d0t} com