[rhelv6-list] Adding ethtool options to ifcfg-ethX

Roger Pena Escobio orkcu at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 5 03:33:40 UTC 2011

--- On Mon, 4/4/11, carlopmart <carlopmart at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: carlopmart <carlopmart at gmail.com>
> Subject: [rhelv6-list] Adding ethtool options to ifcfg-ethX
> To: rhelv6-list at redhat.com
> Hi all,
>
>  I need to add some ethtool options to a specific
> interface. I see in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-eth
> file that I could do it using ETHTOOL_OPTS variable under
> ifcfg-ethX config file. But I only see to pass ethtool
> options with "-s" flag and I need to pass "-G" options
> like:
>
> "ethtool -G eth1 rx 1024 tx 1024".
>
>  Is it possible to do with ifcfg-ethX config file or do I
> need to put ethtool command under rc.local??

I asked the same thing sometime ago, if I recall correctly the answer was to use udev rules for that

I ended up having an ifup.local script (is that the correct name ? I am pulling from top of my head, sorry if I messing up a bit the name), there is support for that script in ifup but I also remember I need to patch ifup because it was exiting in certain conditions (when in a bonding config?) before executing ifup.local

again, that was not rhel6, so perhaps what you need is something different, but I guess the use of udev rules should be still valid

thanks
roger