[rhelv6-list] Redhat 6 installation failures common

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 18:07:26 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 2:34 PM, Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu> wrote:

> RHEL 6 uses a different set of drivers for certain IDE/ATA chips, and
> apparently certain chips aren't properly supported any more in recent
> kernels.  I'm thinking specifically of Intel 845 and 865 (I think; I'm sure
> of the 845), like used in Dell Dimension 4500S desktops.  Fedora 14, 13, and
> 12 won't install on them either; older (pre-all ATA uses libata) works fine.
>  Same error you see there.
>
> The CD-ROM is initially booted as a BIOS device, but once control passes
> from the initramfs to anaconda the access to the device goes through other
> channels, and for some reason those chips have issues with the new ATA
> stack.  At least our Dell Dimension 4500S's have issues there; I wanted to
> use a Fedora liveCD to do a disk clone on one, and it would not boot at all;
> had to back up to an older version of SystemRescueCD (1.1.0; current is
> quite a bit more modern).  So, try a number of LiveCD's and work up to where
> it quits working (use Fedora LiveCD's for consistency); start at FC6 and
> work your way up, and find out where it quites working.
>
> Need more info on your devices to help further.

Our chipset is 82801 and 82901EB.
The Intel motherboard is S875WP1-E

It is about 5 years old, but it isn't unusual for us to run hardware that
long
and have it used for 2 or 3 purposes in its lifetime.

I've checked on the redhat.com certified list, but these items don't
show up.  Does it list anything not supported, or is omission the only
way to know it isn't supported?

--Donald