Re: [rhelv6-list] Kernel errors under kvm guest using e1000

On 04/18/2011 07:37 PM, Gary Gatling wrote:

Hello,

I am totally a kvm "noob" so take what I say with a grain of salt. ;)

But I have been using it more and more lately.

If I was in a similar situation, which I might be later as I try to add
more different distros into kvm vms in my "library" I would try a
different virtual network type. Like I see in virt-manager it says there
are:

ne2k_pci

pcnet

rtl8139

as well as virtio and e1000 types of adapters you can pick. I know
nothing about these...

I would try to install with all of those other types, one by one and see
if any work, before I would give up. maybe one of them won't panic the
guest OS? Then even if the adapter is the problem maybe this could work
around it? I've only used virto and e1000. But I think the using e1000
was just a guess. My problems might have been random and a
misconfiguration on my part and seem to have gone away recently even
using virtio. But I also installed some weird stuff like gentoo and it
worked ok until I broke it. (need to make backups with that distro I
learned)

Another thing to try might be the numbers? Like what happens if you just
use 1 interface instead of 7? This is a all just guessing. Like I said I
am a kvm noob.

Hope that helps,

Thanks Gary, but I can't do this. I can substitute one e1000 interface with ne2k_pci or pcnet or rtl8139 ... but the others six, needs to run e1000 driver because is the only driver that supports 1GB.

But I am thinking about to use two virtual e1000 interfaces only, and use VLANs to deploy the rest networks that I need in this guest.

Can this will work?? Can i configure one vlan wih 4095 id like in vmware esxi does to see all vlans for a particular virtual bridge??

Thanks.

--
CL Martinez
carlopmart {at} gmail {d0t} com