[rhelv6-list] Kernel errors under kvm guest using e1000

John Haxby john.haxby at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 11:36:07 UTC 2011

On 20 April 2011 11:27, carlopmart <carlopmart at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes I have tested using RHEL6 guest with virtio_net and performance is very
> close (not equal, of course) to a real 1GB network.
>
> On this guest is imperative to use 1GB nic driver, I can't work with a 10MB
> nic driver like pcnet or ne2k_pci or rtl8139 ...

So you think the virtual ne2k_pci or rtl8139 limit the bandwidth to the same
as the driver for real hardware? Or, for that matter, that virtio_net is
limiting the speed to 1GB?

You should find that guest to guest communication through virtual interfaces
is limited by the performance of the host and guest to external machine is
limited by the minimum of the raw machine performance and the physical
NIC.   Is this not the case?

Here I get about 80MB/s between guests (admitedly using xen rather than kvm,
but the principle is the same) even though the emulated NIC says 100Mb/s,
which is rather less than the 700Mb/s I'm actually getting.  (This is not a
particularly quick machine either and in fact I'm limited by how quckly I'm
pulling data off a disk, the maximum attainable speed without that is much,
much greater).

jch