[rhelv6-list] Question about fence device network?

Digimer linux at alteeve.com
Fri Aug 19 06:12:52 UTC 2011

On 08/19/2011 12:55 AM, solarflow99 wrote:
> i'm going through the guide too and I just wonder why you would even
> need fencing if you are not using something like GFS?  Imagine a network
> with many app servers running on their own storage, they would probably
> just link to a database to read/write any data.

The cluster communication and membership layer is separate from the
resource management layer. The membership layer is concerned with having
nodes in a known state. So, when a node "disappears" (network failure,
hard failure, kernel panic, hung/blocked), the node falls into an
unknown state. The cluster blocks at will remain blocked until the lost
node is put into a known state. This is done using fencing.

By allowing the cluster to reliably reach out and force-off a node, the
node then is in a known state and recovery can begin. All of this
happens well below the resource manager, and is not dependant on whether
something like GFS2 is in use or not.

--
Digimer
E-Mail:              digimer at alteeve.com
Freenode handle:     digimer
Papers and Projects: http://alteeve.com
"At what point did we forget that the Space Shuttle was, essentially,
a program that strapped human beings to an explosion and tried to stab
through the sky with fire and math?"