[rhelv6-list] Kernel memory leak?

Abdussamad Abdurrazzaq abdussamad at abdussamad.com
Mon Aug 29 22:18:57 UTC 2011

Hello

Ok please ignore my previous email (if you've seen it). It's quite
confused because I posted using gmane.org.

I know about how Linux reports memory usage. My problem is very much
real. Memory usage keeps increasing because of a memory leak in the
kernel dentry cache. This is the same problem as outlined by others here:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/rhelv6-list/2011-February/msg00001.html

So I was wondering whether this problem was fixed? I am using centos 6
with the following kernel:

Linux serve3.websitetheme.com. 2.6.32-71.29.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Jun
27 19:49:27 BST 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

At one point dentry was using 3GB plus on  my 8GB system!

I am currently using a cron job to clear the cache every so often:

sync && echo 2 >/proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

The above works but I am looking for a more permanent solution. To that
end I tried increasing:

echo 10000> /proc/sys/vm/vfs_cache_pressure

And in /etc/sysctl.conf But to no effect.

So any idea how to fix this?

Regards,
Abdussamad