[rhelv6-list] Question about fence device network?

Digimer linux at alteeve.com
Fri Aug 19 03:18:48 UTC 2011

On 08/18/2011 10:30 PM, Kitae Kim wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I try to build Redhat H/A system, following Cluster Administration guide.
>
> My Question is about fencing network. (ex, HP iLo)
>
> Some Engineer said fencing network, should use gigabit switch.
> I think more effective system fencing network  should separated from service netwrok.
>
> Fencing network is very import for stable service and control H/A system, but
> I think 100Mb/s is enough speed for fencing network, isn't it?
> or should I use 1 Gigabit network?
>
> Thanks

The speed of the network doesn't really matter. It's useful to have the
fencing on a *separate* network, as it would allow for the fencing of a
node (and thus allow recovery to begin) when there is a network error
that breaks cluster communications. This is mainly a 2-node issue though.

--
Digimer
E-Mail:              digimer at alteeve.com
Freenode handle:     digimer
Papers and Projects: http://alteeve.com
"At what point did we forget that the Space Shuttle was, essentially,
a program that strapped human beings to an explosion and tried to stab
through the sky with fire and math?"