[rhelv6-list] Question about fence device network?

Digimer linux at alteeve.com
Fri Aug 19 21:38:44 UTC 2011

On 08/19/2011 05:31 PM, solarflow99 wrote:
> I see, it just makes me wonder a few things.  Can HA cluster load
> balance traffic on each node?  I didn't see anything about that, most
> clusters would want to have other nodes busy serving requests.  Or is it
> supposed to work like this: use LVS to load balance to the app servers,
> and use HA cluster for shared NFS storage?  I can't see how something
> like a database can read and write like crazy like this without
> performance problems.
>
> Thanks,

"Cluster" simply means "two or more servers working together". Nothing more.

Now that said, load-balancing is a very common form performance
clustering, and they inherently offer a degree of high availability.
That is am implementation choice though, above and beyond the cluster
foundation itself.

Consider;

Another common cluster is one that hosts high-availability virtual
servers. If you have only one VM, then the second node is sitting there
doing nothing. This is still very much a valid cluster. Another example
would be an HA SAN with a floating IP. The backup is just sitting there,
effectively doing nothing, but again, this is a perfectly valid cluster.

You need to make a mental separation between the cluster foundation and
the cluster resources. They work intimately together, but they are
fundamentally separate components.

--
Digimer
E-Mail:              digimer at alteeve.com
Freenode handle:     digimer
Papers and Projects: http://alteeve.com
"At what point did we forget that the Space Shuttle was, essentially,
a program that strapped human beings to an explosion and tried to stab
through the sky with fire and math?"