[rhelv6-list] maximum member unix group in /etc/group

Jason Keltz jas at cse.yorku.ca
Thu Dec 1 18:08:12 UTC 2011

Under RHEL4, as far as I can see, there was no limitation in unix group
size in /etc/group in terms of line lengths or number of users, or at
least I never came close to hitting the limit.  Under RHEL6.1, I hit the
limit today - 126 members.  It's not clear if this is a bug or a
feature, or why such a limitation would be imposed.  It's possible that
it was imposed by a patch, but after applying many patches, it's not
clear which would have caused it.  Any ideas???

Jason.