[rhelv6-list] yum reinstall permissions bug?

Robin Price II rprice at redhat.com
Mon Dec 5 16:24:36 UTC 2011

On 12/04/2011 06:34 PM, dsavage at peaknet.net wrote:
> I recently found myself needing to use yum to reinstall all the packages
> on my RHEL6.1 server to correct their ownerships inadvertently changed by
> a rogue script. Afterwards I noticed that there were still several dozen
> packages with the wrong permissions (Modes, according to 'rpm -V'). These
> same packages had just been reinstalled by yum.
>
> If yum's reinstall does not restore permissions to their original values,
> is that a bug? Or is there another preferred way to do that?

Mr. Savage,

You should be able to recover by following this kbase:

How do I reset the ownership and permissions of files installed by the
Red Hat Package Manager (RPM) under Red Hat Enterprise Linux?

https://access.redhat.com/kb/docs/DOC-25162

I have done this myself and ended up scripting something up like:

for p in $(rpm -qa); do rpm --setperms $p; done
for p in $(rpm -qa); do rpm --setugids $p; done

And for home directorys..
for u in `ls /home`; do chown -Rh $u.$u /home/$u/; done

I have never done this from yum.

HTHs,

~rp

--
| Robin Price II - RHCE, RHCDS, RHCVA                 |