[rhelv6-list] RHEL6 kernel 2.6.32-71.14.1.el6.x86_64 panic...

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Tue Feb 15 09:39:43 UTC 2011

Masopust, Christian wrote :

> Short update to my kernel-panic....
>
> it turns out that this panic is caused by a bug in RHEL6 kernel (all 2.6.32-71.*) and happens
> if somebody telnets to nlockmgr and simply press <return> several times.
>
> newer kernels (in fedora 14) don't have this bug anymore.  does probably anybody know a
> "bug number" or when this bug has been fixed in kernel?

Ouch! It used to be possible to find some testing EL kernels on various
URLs under people.redhat.com, but it seems that some Red Hat internal
policy has forbidden that from now on... that plus the new "self
support" for the same price as having support previously, and you get a
nice crippled entry level Enterprise OS.

This makes me wonder : Is Red Hat intentionally driving its "lower-end"
customers towards clones of it's own OS? It would seem logic to try and
do the opposite, but hey, I'm no business expert...

Matthias

Fedora release 14 (Laughlin) - Linux kernel 2.6.35.10-72.fc14.x86_64
Load : 0.05 0.05 0.05