[rhelv6-list] Installing nvidia driver on a rhel6 laptop

Phil Perry phil at elrepo.org
Mon Jan 3 09:41:11 UTC 2011

On 03/01/11 08:55, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 12:43 AM, carlopmart<carlopmart at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>>   Where can I find some good howto to install nvidia propietary driver (from
>> nvidia.com or using elrepo.org) and disable nouveau driver onto rhel6
>> laptop??
>
> The ELRepo package is working for me. It will disable the nouveau
> driver for you. Also, there is no need to reinstall for each kernel
> update.
>
> Akemi

Yes, set up the elrepo repository for rhel6 as described here:

http://elrepo.org

then:

yum --enablerepo=elrepo install kmod-nvidia

and reboot your system.

If you then want to re-enable plymouth graphical booting, see known
issues at the bottom of this page:

http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-nvidia

Support is available on the elrepo mailing lists.

Hope that helps.

Phil