[rhelv6-list] Modify (or replace) login screen

Andy Feldt feldt at nhn.ou.edu
Mon Jan 3 20:45:11 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-01-01 at 23:36 -0600, William Junior wrote:
> As of yet I have found no way to change the login screen.
> Specifically I need to replace the background, insert a text message
> or graphic image, and remove the user chooser list.  Under version 5
> (and earlier) I was able to provide my own theme
> in /usr/share/gdm/themes and then easily select that theme.   Any
> recommendations on how to do this?
>
> Regards,
> William

By my digging around, I have managed this via (the lines below may
get wrapped, but are single lines after the prompt):

# su -s /bin/sh gdm
sh-3.2$ gconftool-2 --direct --config-source=xml:readwrite:$HOME/.gconf
-t bool -s /apps/gdm/simple-greeter/disable_user_list true
sh-3.2$ gconftool-2 --direct --config-source=xml:readwrite:$HOME/.gconf
-t string -s /apps/gdm/simple-greeter/banner_message_text 'Your banner
message'
sh-3.2$ gconftool-2 --direct --config-source=xml:readwrite:$HOME/.gconf
-t bool -s /apps/gdm/simple-greeter/banner_message_enable true

and for the background image, you modify:

/usr/share/backgrounds/default.xml

to taste (you don't have to have timed images as it does
if you do not wish to do so)