[rhelv6-list] module load order changed in initramfs

John Haxby john.haxby at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 15:04:21 UTC 2011

On 11 January 2011 14:30, neo3 matrix <neo3matrix at gmail.com> wrote:

> So, my question is how can I get the modules list and their load order from
> initramfs?
> If not from initramfs,  is there any other way to get it from a normal
> running system?
> This information is critical for me to provide proper drivers and their
> load order during restoration.

I don't think that there is a specific load order: even if you could detect
the order in which devices are discovered (and thereby the modules are
loaded) there is no guarantee that it will be the same next time it is
booted, or if it is the same, that it will be consistent across different
machines (even identically configured different machines).

> Can you please give me some guidelines on this front?

I think you need a different approach.  If you look at /etc/fstab on an
RHEL6 system you'll see that file systems are either identified by a logical
volume name or by a UID  -- this is to get away from needing to know what
file system is associated with which device (eg /dev/sda, /dev/sde, etc).
Nothing in the boot sequence cares what the underlying device is called --
you can find out, after booting, that (say)
UUID=42005eb1-fc91-4ee4-97f5-b453d3896ff0 is actually /dev/sda1.

You might find the various /dev/disk/* directories useful for identifying
disks by something less ephemeral than a device name -- /dev/disk/by-uuid is
probably the best one.

jch