[rhelv6-list] IPv6 adoption with RHEL6 (and GNU/Linux in general)

Benjamin Franz jfranz at freerun.com
Wed Jan 12 13:59:32 UTC 2011

On 01/12/2011 05:22 AM, Matthias Saou wrote:
> I know the reasons for the lack of NAT support, which are given over and
> over again. But here is my real world issue with them :
> All of the networks I manage have at least one or more points where
> multiple hosts are connected with a single network interface to a
> network which is not routed to the outside, but translated instead.
> Some other hosts have two interfaces and are connected to both this
> private/internal network and to another where they have routable IPv4
> addresses.

So carve up your IPv6 allocation into chunks for your previously private
subnets, setup routes for them, and firewall off incoming connections to
the private ones at your router/firewalls. You have no shortage of spare
IPs when you get a IPv6 allocation.

I'm not getting the issue. All you lose is the many real ips hidden
behind one public ip effect. They still reach the internet, they can
still be grouped together, they can still be made unreachable from the
broader world by your firewalls. What doesn't it do that you need?

--
Benjamin Franz