[rhelv6-list] new kernel is installed but grub was not updated properly

John Haxby john.haxby at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 16:24:21 UTC 2011

On 6 January 2011 15:53, Connie Sieh <csieh at fnal.gov> wrote:

> Why is the older LABEL= unreliable other than virtualised guests?
>

> There are quite a few cases when you can wind up with two partitions
somewhere with the same label.  The most common case, and I suspect that the
main reason for the change is when some guest creates and labels a file
system on a whole virtual disk which is mapped to a single logical volume or
sungle partition in the host.  (Interestingly, there's probably nothing to
stop a malicious guest creating a file system with a UUID that you're
already using).

Another common case, though, is when you move a disk from one system to
another (for example, to recover data from a system whose cpu has gone up in
smoke) and in thise case you're quite likely to have file systems with the
same label (not to mention, until RHEL6, volume groups with the same name).

jch