[rhelv6-list] module load order changed in initramfs

Farkas Levente lfarkas at lfarkas.org
Tue Jan 11 11:21:55 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 12:05, Jon Masters <jcm at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-01-11 at 16:04 +0530, neo3 matrix wrote:
>
>> Can anybody tell me what is the driver load order in RHEL 6 and how
>> can I find it out?
>
> Hello,
>
> Module loading for hardware devices in RHEL6 initramfs is determined by
> calls udev makes to modprobe, so in theory you will see very few as it's
> a standard script. The order of loading may change from RHEL5, but
> broadly follows the order in which the kernel enumerates devices.
>
> I specifically changed module load ordering in RHEL6 to remove the
> "parallel" loading approach taken in Fedora. That was cute for slight
> improvement in boot speed, but it undermined predictability. Therefore,
> the version of udev in RHEL6 will make *one call at a time*, and you
> should always see the same ordering on each boot.
>
> Can you let us know specifically what problem you are having? Possibly
> by filing a support case or opening a Bugzilla?

what's the current preferred mode to change the order?
eg. for us sata_promise load before ahci which cause the on
motherboard sata contorller's disk is loaded after the additional sata
pci card's disk so sda become sde in some case. so we modify grub
driverload=ata_piix driverload=ahci
and run this on all machine
echo "PREMODS='$PREMODS ata_piix ahci'" > /etc/sysconfig/mkinitrd/sata_disk
chmod +x /etc/sysconfig/mkinitrd/sata_disk
/sbin/new-kernel-pkg --package kernel --mkinitrd --depmod --install
`rpm -q --qf "%{version}-%{release}" kernel`
anyway none of the above documented by rh (at least we can't find it).
regards.

--
  Levente                               "Si vis pacem para bellum!"