[rhelv6-list] NFSv4 automount - nss_getpwnam name 'user at domain.com' does not map into domain 'localdomain'

Ray Van Dolson rvandolson at esri.com
Wed Jan 19 00:29:07 UTC 2011

Am doing a kickstart installation of RHEL 6.0 vanilla (no errata
applied).

After reboot, when using the automounter to access NFSv4 shares
(running on Fedora 13), we see the following in the logs on the RHEL6
client:

Jan 18 15:56:16 rhel6test rpc.idmapd[1387]: nss_getpwnam: name 'root at esri.com' does not map into domain 'localdomain'
Jan 18 15:56:16 rhel6test rpc.idmapd[1387]: nss_getpwnam: name 'ray5147 at esri.com' does not map into domain 'localdomain'

As a result, directories are not mapped to the correct users but
instead to 'nobody'.

This is odd, because per the idmap man pages, the default domain used
by rpc.idmapd should be the same as the system domain minus the
hostname.  This should be esri.com, and is when I type hostname.

Thinking that perhaps rpc.idmapd was started before the network
subsystem, I restarted it.  Immediately everything worked fine.

I rebooted the system assuming the problem would return, but it didn't.
Maybe there's a cache used by rpc.idmapd (nscd?)?  Is there something
else maybe I'm missing?

Trying to determine if the "right" thing to do is to leave my
configuration as default or if I should be modifying /etc/idmapd.conf
to set a default domain.

Thanks,
Ray