[rhelv6-list] No Redhat network this AM?

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Thu Jun 2 19:52:31 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2 Jun 2011, Brian Long wrote:

> On 6/2/11 9:29 AM, Hugh Brown wrote:
>>> Also, I don't like this single point of failure.  If we come in to do
>>> maintenance, and
>>> the update service is offline, there are no alternative mirrors I am
>>> aware of.
>>>
>>> --Donald
>>
>> In the past, we would do a "yum --downloadonly -y update" before a
>> planned maintenance window so that all of the packages would be local to
>> the box that needed to be patched.  You have to have the
>> yum-plugin-downloadonly package installed for that to work.
>>
>> Another alternative is to buy the Satellite service and then you have a
>> local version of RHN.
>
> Another option I've recently tried is mrepo from Dag Wieers.  I had to
> apply a few patches to get it working with RHEL 6, but it's been awesome.
>
> http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/mrepo/

Or you can run mrepo on RHEL5 or RHEL4 to download updates for all the
platforms (distributions/archs), including RHEL6.

I was actually planning CDN support, which is a must before RHEL5.7 is
released. But it's going to be a big effort and I need to make sure I'll
have the time for this. So maybe a quick RHEL6 fix release wouldn't be so
bad.

But there have been plenty of feature requests that are currently blocked
by the design and the configuration file, so we should break with the past
(drop apt/yum-arch support, config overhaul) and release a major new
version.

We moved mrepo development to github.com, so if you're interested in
helping, discuss or send pull-requests :)