[rhelv6-list] Parallel Port Support

Brian Long brilong at cisco.com
Thu Jun 16 14:41:17 UTC 2011

On 6/16/11 10:28 AM, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Since Red Hat 6 has been released, the kernel provided has not supported
> parallel ports. Unfortunately my workplace has decided to continue to
> use them as a means to use printers so it is important that they are
> supported.
>
> I have raised this issue with the manufacturer of the parallel port and
> they claim to be in contact with Red Hat. I have found a bugzilla bug[1]
> that matches the problem and points to a knowledge base article, but it
> does not exist, yet. The issue has been around for over 6 months now and
> there is no time table for a solution that I have found. Is there anyone
> @RH that could follow up on this for me and see where it stands? Neither
> the manufacture or anyone attached to the bug has been able to provide
> me with an update.

It's been a while since I played with parallel ports on Linux, but it
appears the ELrepo project has a kernel module for lp.ko ready to go.
http://elrepo.org/linux/elrepo/el6/i386/RPMS/

http://elrepo.org/tiki/tiki-index.php tells you how to use their yum repo.

/Brian/
--
       Brian Long                             |       |
       Corporate Security Programs Org    . | | | . | | | .