[rhelv6-list] No Redhat network this AM?

Camron W. Fox cwfox at us.fujitsu.com
Thu Jun 2 19:51:35 UTC 2011

On 11/06/02 05:05, Brian Long wrote:
> On 6/2/11 9:29 AM, Hugh Brown wrote:
>>> Also, I don't like this single point of failure.  If we come in to do
>>> maintenance, and
>>> the update service is offline, there are no alternative mirrors I am
>>> aware of.
>>>
>>> --Donald
>>
>> In the past, we would do a "yum --downloadonly -y update" before a
>> planned maintenance window so that all of the packages would be local to
>> the box that needed to be patched.  You have to have the
>> yum-plugin-downloadonly package installed for that to work.
>>
>> Another alternative is to buy the Satellite service and then you have a
>> local version of RHN.
>
> Another option I've recently tried is mrepo from Dag Wieers.  I had to
> apply a few patches to get it working with RHEL 6, but it's been awesome.
>
> http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/mrepo/
>
> /Brian/

+1 for mrepo. We've been using it for our site the last three years for
not only RHEL, but CentOS and SL as well. Works like a charm, but RHN
*does* need to be up to get updates. As there are so many mirrors for
the other two, uptime of the primary is not an issue.

Best Regards,
Camron

--
Camron W. Fox