Re: [rhelv6-list] No Redhat network this AM?

On Thu, 2 Jun 2011, Brian Long wrote:

On 6/2/11 9:29 AM, Hugh Brown wrote:
Also, I don't like this single point of failure.  If we come in to do
maintenance, and
the update service is offline, there are no alternative mirrors I am
aware of.

--Donald

In the past, we would do a "yum --downloadonly -y update" before a
planned maintenance window so that all of the packages would be local to
the box that needed to be patched.  You have to have the
yum-plugin-downloadonly package installed for that to work.

Another alternative is to buy the Satellite service and then you have a
local version of RHN.

Another option I've recently tried is mrepo from Dag Wieers.  I had to
apply a few patches to get it working with RHEL 6, but it's been awesome.

http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/mrepo/

Or you can run mrepo on RHEL5 or RHEL4 to download updates for all the platforms (distributions/archs), including RHEL6.

I was actually planning CDN support, which is a must before RHEL5.7 is released. But it's going to be a big effort and I need to make sure I'll have the time for this. So maybe a quick RHEL6 fix release wouldn't be so bad.

But there have been plenty of feature requests that are currently blocked by the design and the configuration file, so we should break with the past (drop apt/yum-arch support, config overhaul) and release a major new version.

We moved mrepo development to github.com, so if you're interested in helping, discuss or send pull-requests :)

--
-- dag wieers, dag wieers com, http://dag.wieers.com/
-- dagit linux solutions, info dagit net, http://dagit.net/