Re: [rhelv6-list] No Redhat network this AM?

On Thu, 2 Jun 2011, Brian Long wrote:

Or you can run mrepo on RHEL5 or RHEL4 to download updates for all the
platforms (distributions/archs), including RHEL6.

I was actually planning CDN support, which is a must before RHEL5.7 is
released. But it's going to be a big effort and I need to make sure I'll
have the time for this. So maybe a quick RHEL6 fix release wouldn't be
so bad.

Could you explain what you mean?  What kind of CDN support and why must
if be out before RHEL 5.7?

Well, Both RHEL6.1 and RHEL5.7 come with CDN support, which should make you no longer dependant on RHN being up for downloading updates. It should be much faster as well.

Also, I didn't look too deeply into Spacewalk, RHN's upstream. Does Spacewalk offer most of what mrepo provides or is it a different beast completely?

Spacewalk is RHN Satelite. mrepo consists of various tools, including gensystemid, a tool to register and create a systemid, and rhnget, a tool to download updates from RHN using a systemid.

I don't know if Spacewalk can do RHN downloads nowadays, but in the past people used rhnget with spacewalk for downloading updates.

That said, mrepo was written long before Red Hat opened its RHN Satelite code.

But there have been plenty of feature requests that are currently
blocked by the design and the configuration file, so we should break
with the past (drop apt/yum-arch support, config overhaul) and release a
major new version.

We moved mrepo development to github.com, so if you're interested in
helping, discuss or send pull-requests :)

Where are the feature requests documented?

Well, not in github (as we've only moved recently). There's a TODO list in the repository, but there have been other features requested on the mailinglist over the years.

--
-- dag wieers, dag wieers com, http://dag.wieers.com/
-- dagit linux solutions, info dagit net, http://dagit.net/