[rhelv6-list] No Redhat network this AM?

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Thu Jun 2 21:50:39 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2 Jun 2011, Brian Long wrote:

>> Or you can run mrepo on RHEL5 or RHEL4 to download updates for all the
>> platforms (distributions/archs), including RHEL6.
>>
>> I was actually planning CDN support, which is a must before RHEL5.7 is
>> released. But it's going to be a big effort and I need to make sure I'll
>> have the time for this. So maybe a quick RHEL6 fix release wouldn't be
>> so bad.
>
> Could you explain what you mean?  What kind of CDN support and why must
> if be out before RHEL 5.7?

Well, Both RHEL6.1 and RHEL5.7 come with CDN support, which should make
you no longer dependant on RHN being up for downloading updates. It should
be much faster as well.

> Also, I didn't look too deeply into Spacewalk, RHN's upstream.  Does
> Spacewalk offer most of what mrepo provides or is it a different beast
> completely?

Spacewalk is RHN Satelite. mrepo consists of various tools, including
gensystemid, a tool to register and create a systemid, and rhnget, a tool
to download updates from RHN using a systemid.

I don't know if Spacewalk can do RHN downloads nowadays, but in the past
people used rhnget with spacewalk for downloading updates.

That said, mrepo was written long before Red Hat opened its RHN Satelite
code.

>> But there have been plenty of feature requests that are currently
>> blocked by the design and the configuration file, so we should break
>> with the past (drop apt/yum-arch support, config overhaul) and release a
>> major new version.
>>
>> We moved mrepo development to github.com, so if you're interested in
>> helping, discuss or send pull-requests :)
>
> Where are the feature requests documented?

Well, not in github (as we've only moved recently). There's a TODO list in
the repository, but there have been other features requested on the
mailinglist over the years.