[rhelv6-list] scsi-target-utils upgrade?

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 06:48:20 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 10:54 PM, Brian Long <brilong at cisco.com> wrote:
> I'm running a software target using scsi-target-utils 1.0.4 from RHEL
> 6.0.  I have two initiators attached (VMware ESXi 4.1 software iSCSI).
> Does anyone have a best practice on upgrading scsi-target-utils without
> taking down both initiators/hosts?
>
> I'd like to upgrade the RPM on my iSCSI storage host, fail the VMs to
> one physical host using vMotion, detach and re-attach the other host
> (should bring up the new tgtd), then fail the VMs back over using
> vMotion, and detach / re-attach the second host making sure a new
> instance of tgtd is running in each case.
>
> Has anyone tried this or something similar?

One possible way to upgrade iscsi target without interruption for your
VMs could be using dmotion (storage vmotion) towards other storage
pools if the total amount that is necessary is available and if VMware
supports it with iSCSI based storage...
Or temporarily set up another iscsi target server (eventually using
local disk) and use it for dmotion ... and dmotion again at the end..
But probably you already evaluated this way ...
Gianluca