[rhelv6-list] DNS lookup for host is wrong on KVM guest

Jos Vos jos at xos.nl
Sun Jun 12 16:57:37 UTC 2011

Hi,

On RHEL6 (only tested on 6.0), name resolving on a KVM guest for
the underlying host gives the correct IPv4 address, but also "::1"
as IPv6 address!

This means for example that when I want to copy a file from the
guest to the host with "scp" this fails (it tries to copy the file
to itself, which is understandable as it takes the IPv6 localhost
address), unless I use "scp -4" (forcing IPv4).

Resolving other hostnames works fine (that is, only an IPv4-address
is given, unless the host also has an IPv6 address).

Is this a (known?) bug, or is this related to something else?

Thanks,

--
--    Jos Vos <jos at xos.nl>