[rhelv6-list] kickstarting rhel6 from usb key

Jason Keltz jas at cse.yorku.ca
Wed Jun 15 20:18:40 UTC 2011

Hi Ges,

Thanks for your reply.
Does this mean that kickstarting from a USB key is just not reliable?
You have to be able to specify a device during kickstart, and if you
don't know what the device that represents the hard disk will be, then
what do you?
I could "calculate" it on the fly, and modify the kickstart process
accordingly, but if there are multiple disks in the system, and I want
to be able to specify which of those devices will be used for kickstart,
then this messes things up ..
Once a system is kickstarted, you can use labels, etc. to identify
disks, but assuming you're starting with a totally blank hard disk, who
knows what device the kernel will see..

I remember this was an issue years and years ago .. can't believe we
haven't found a better way to handle this under Linux yet...

sigh..

Jason.