Re: [rhelv6-list] kickstarting rhel6 from usb key

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the link! Fortunately, the location of the kickstart config file isn't the problem. Right now, I server my ks.cfg through an NFS server, so that part works great. My custom kickstart USB key has as its first option "kickstart" which does does a " ... ks=nfs:1.2.3.4:/obj/kickstart/", and that part always works fine. The problem isn't really finding the ks config file. The problem is that when I setup a system in our hardware database, I specify say, "sda" is the install location for kickstart -- if I use an install CD, it will certainly be sda, but if I use my USB key (which is much faster and more convenient than a CD) -- then sometimes it will be sda, and other time it won't be sda, and as it stands right now, I'd have to check each time to be sure or I could wipe out the USB key by choosing the wrong option!! It just doesn't seem like something that I should have to "hack" into kickstart to get it right! Surely there must be a way for Anaconda to distinguish between hard disk and USB keys! If I want to use the USB key for installation, then I need to do some other magic, but this will mess with my simplicity of just specifying a disk device, and having the kickstart file automatically assigned... and I don't even know whether I *can* hack it because of a "chicken and egg" type problem... if I define the disk device in the kickstart file, and the pre script notices that the USB key is inserted, and it needs to "change" the disk as specified, then I don't know whether I can do that after the fact -- the system has already read the kickstart file, and the disk device was already specified on the clearpart line and on other lines..

sigh.

jas.