[rhelv6-list] Parallel Port Support

Phil Perry phil at elrepo.org
Fri Jun 17 19:13:28 UTC 2011

On 17/06/11 16:57, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> Brian Long wrote:
>> It's been a while since I played with parallel ports on Linux, but it
>> appears the ELrepo project has a kernel module for lp.ko ready to go.
>> http://elrepo.org/linux/elrepo/el6/i386/RPMS/
>>
>> http://elrepo.org/tiki/tiki-index.php tells you how to use their yum
>> repo.
>
> Funny enough, my hardware manufacturer just got back with me and gave me
> a zip file with the lp.ko file in it.

One advantage of the elrepo-provided driver is that the kmod package is
kABI-tracking and thus the driver module(s) will work seamlessly across
kernel updates, rather than being kernel-specific and requiring a
recompile against all new kernel updates.

The elrepo lp driver is built from the RHEL6 driver code that simply
wasn't enabled in the RHEL6 kernel.