[rhelv6-list] kickstarting rhel6 from usb key

Steve Allen allen at doobie.itdl.ds.boeing.com
Tue Jun 21 21:13:26 UTC 2011

Jason Keltz <jas at cse.yorku.ca> wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> I believe /dev/disk/by-label is available, and I looked into using that,
> but still, if the usb key becomes /dev/sda, then this will effect
> installation of bootloader, etc.  hard to work around.
> Does red hat not support installation via usb key?
> I'm not using multipath so I don't have /dev/disk/by-scsi-id..
> In this particular case, the system has a 3ware 9750-8e card (which is
> referred to first in bios)..
>
> I wish there was some way to force the usb device as being sdb.

I have been playing with this for some time...  I haven't completed my
playtime yet, but my research indicates this:

Redhat 3 and 4 do not support referring to partitions by label, but 5
and 6 do.  Try using this line in your kickstart file and pointing it
to the label on your USB stick:

harddrive --dir=/ --partition=LABEL=blahblah

HTH,