[rhelv6-list] Pam config and ssh access

Prentice Bisbal prentice at ias.edu
Tue Mar 8 22:33:09 UTC 2011

This is because RHEL6 now supports other mechanisms for authenticating
besides passwords. If you do an 'ls /etc/pam.d/', you'll see there are
now files for fingerprint-auth, and smartcard-auth, so you can use those
mechanisms, too.

Presumably, this makes it more modular and easier to have certain
services use different mechanisms

The original poster should leave the password-auth entry as-is, and then
make whatever changes are necessary to the password-auth file. At least
I think that's the recommended way of doing things now.

I just checked on my system, and password-auth and system-auth have the
same contents, but are two separate files:

$ md5sum password-auth system-auth
0534aba4c658c75dc75f23f7524943ef  password-auth
0534aba4c658c75dc75f23f7524943ef  system-auth

$ ls -l password-auth system-auth
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root 1330 Mar  7 17:41 password-auth
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root 1330 Mar  7 17:43 system-auth

--
Prentice