[rhelv6-list] RHEL5 to RHEL6 Update

Greg_Swift at aotx.uscourts.gov Greg_Swift at aotx.uscourts.gov
Thu Mar 17 15:31:37 UTC 2011

rhelv6-list-bounces at redhat.com wrote on 03/16/2011 08:13:34 AM:

> Has anyone attempted to update from RHEL5.6 to RHEL6.0? There is a
> particular need to update instead of doing a new install on one of our
> systems. Also, how does one do a text install versus gui these days?

While there is often times a way to do things if you really want, keep in
mind that this is not a RH supported method, which means they won't want to
support that system post install.  Which removes most of the reason to use
RHEL.

Upgrading from RHEL5 to RHEL6 is akin to going from Fedora 6 to Fedora 13.
Fedora supports OS upgrades using the 'preupgrade' utility which was
released at Fedora 9 (i believe), but I am pretty sure it only supports
direct incremental upgrades (9-> 10, 10->11, etc).

Its probably something someone can successfully accomplish, but the risk
factor (IMO) is very high.

Text install is performed the same way it always has, when using boot media
enter "linux text"

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Installation_Guide/ap-admin-options.html

-greg