[rhelv6-list] found a chmod bug in rhel 6.0

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Thu Mar 24 20:27:23 UTC 2011

Once upon a time, Hugh Brown <hbrown at divms.uiowa.edu> said:
> I'd expect chmod 755 to do that.  I wouldn't expect chmod 0755 to do it
> though.

The numeric option is always interpreted as an octal number, and (in
octal) 755 == 0755.  That is probably a good thing, since some of us
_always_ start an octal number with a 0 (shoot, I type 04555 for a
setuid file, not just 4555).  Having a leading zero mean anything else
would be even more confusing.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>