[rhelv6-list] IPv6 support for NFSv2 server.

Upakul Barkakaty Upakul.Barkakaty at infogain.com
Thu May 26 16:36:19 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I have been contemplating about using an appropriate server that would
support NFSv2 over IPv6.

RHEL5 doesn't support IPv6 over NFS by default. I tried installing a few
libraries and patches but it doesn't seem to be working out yet due to
some missing dependencies.

RHEL6 *seems* to support just the NFS client over IPv6. Further it seems
to support only NFSv4 as it generates an error if I force the NFS
version to 2 in the mount options[mount.nfs: an incorrect mount option
was specified].

>From the RHEL6.1 Technical documentation, it specifies that NFS server
support over IPv6 is introduced in this release. However it is still not
clear if the support is still over NFSv4 only or includes NFSv2 as well.

Is there any standard Operating system distribution that currently
supports NFSv2 server over IPv6? Any inputs will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Upakul Barkakaty