Re: [rhelv6-list] how to remove 'shot down' from system menu?

I find it a terrible mistake by Redhat to install an unmodified GNOME with shutdown permission for non-root users.

We run our company server with about 10 X-terminals used by office staff. The server needs to run permanently, but the X-terminals are just used during office hours by non-technical staff.

The x-terminals use the Gnome desktop of the server via XDMCP. We have used this setup since many years, first with HP-UX, since eight years with various versions of RHEL. The server is physically remote in a server room.

It is an excellent solution, low maintenance, adequate performance for office work.

Please don't tell me we should use a local window manager on the x-terminals. These are horrible monsters. We like the desktop offered by RHEL.

Such an x-terminal user, when he/she wants to logout and turn off the x-terminal, will easily make a mistake to 'shut down' the server if this option is offered as it is, and not even protected by the root password.

I found an article describing a solution:
http://www.shaunrowland.com/fsync/2011/04/20/removing-shut-down-from-the-gnome-panel-in-rhel-6/
But when you read through this, you notice how complex it is. And each gnome update will overwrite the special configuration it is. A design fault by Gnome, I agree with the author.
Redhat should not have accepted this design fault on their system.

We will switch back to KDE desktop, after using Gnome since RHEL5. KDE at least has no such stupid power-down by normal users. As the KDE konsole terminal is finally able to handle utf8 properly, including Asian languages with good fonts, as gnome-terminal did since a long time already, there is no string reason to stick with gnome now.