[rhelv6-list] large mdraid 10 installations

Pasi Kärkkäinen pasik at iki.fi
Fri Oct 7 06:59:36 UTC 2011

On Thu, Oct 06, 2011 at 10:27:01PM -0500, Eugene Vilensky wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Does anyone have experience using mdraid on relatively large JBOD
> installations (4U chassis, 48 SATA drives).  Are there any 'gotchas,'
> tips or tricks that you learned in the process that are still
> under-documented?

Well.. using mdraid means you're probably using regular SAS HBA, and not a RAID adapter..
The chassis/backplane often offers SES2 management chip.. which is usually controller by the (hardware) RAID adapter.

In the case of regular SAS HBA and software-raid, what software are you planning to use to control
the (failure) LEDs of the backplane through SES?

I'm not aware of any generic software for Linux/mdadm that can control SES backplanes automatically..

-- Pasi