[rhelv6-list] SSHD root login

Grzegorz Witkowski geslinux at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 19:51:39 UTC 2011

Hi Krzysztof,

The default is "PermitRootLogin yes" as per man page. It is confusing a
little bit though in my opinion as it is commented out in a default
sshd_config file. That means you need to specifically set it to "no" and
restart sshd if you want to disallow root access.
I logged in as root with no problem to my fresh RHEL6.1. After adding
PermitRootLogin no and restarting sshd it happily returns Permission denied,
please try again. :)

Regards,
Ges