Re: [rhelv6-list] You suggestion for 'big' filesystem management Best Practice?

Götz Reinicke wrote:
Hi,

we plan to set up a big file storage for media files like uncompressed
movies from student film projects, dvd images etc.

It should be some sort of archive and will not bee accessed by more than
may be 5 people at the same time.

The iSCSI RAID we have is about 26TB netto and I'm again faced with the
question: How many partitions, which filesystem, which mount options etc.

For the User it would be the most simpel thing, to have one big
filesystem she/he could fill with all the data and dont has to search
e.g. on multiple volumes.

On the other hand, if one big filesystem crashes or has do be checked it
will destroy a lot of data or the check will take hours ...

Any suggestions pro or cons are welcome! :-)

My favourite for now is 3 to 4 filesystems with the default ext4
settings. (Redhat EL 5.7, may be soon 6.1)

Thanks and best regards. Götz

If you decide to go with RHEL6, xfs is a good bet for making one big filesystem. We have a setup similar to what you're describing and have had very solid stability and performance using xfs (default filesystem and mount settings.) As far as I can see (and knocking on wood), xfs is now a lot less flaky than it seemed to be in the past.

 -Peter