[rhelv6-list] tomcat on priviliged port

Matthias Saou matthias at saou.eu
Tue Sep 13 11:30:19 UTC 2011

Rainer Traut wrote :

> I've looked around in docs.redhat.com but found nothing so far.
> What's best practice to run standalone tomcat on port 443 without apache
> in front?
>
> There are a couple of choices...
> like run as root (bad) or iptables in front.
> But which is the preferred 'redhat way'?

Between the "good" and "bad" choices, I'm guessing it'll be up to you
to decide. But a bit of common sense should make that easy :-)

And you seem to already know the answer, but just in case :
iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING 1 \
    -p tcp --dport 443 -j REDIRECT --to-ports $my_tomcat_port
service iptables save

This is common practice for just about any standalone tcp server which
isn't started as root and needs to be accessed on a privileged port.

Matthias

--
Matthias Saou - http://matthias.saou.eu/