[rhelv6-list] LDAPD dies after update

Prentice Bisbal prentice at ias.edu
Thu Sep 1 13:08:34 UTC 2011

On 09/01/2011 08:36 AM, Götz Reinicke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> recently I updated our ldapd on our RH EL 6.1 to the most recent version
> openldap-2.4.23-15.el6_1.1.x86_64 (from 2.4.19-15)
>
> Since than the deamon died twice in the middle of the night, leaving no
> traces to me why.
>
> The 2.4.19-15-version never died ...

I can't offer any advice as to why it died, but if you haven't done so,
I recommend creating a 'watchdog' script that checks to make sure
'slapd' is running, and if it isn't, restart it. Run it from cron every
couple of minutes and have it e-mail you every time it needs to restart
slapd.

This will protect your sanity and avoid phone calls in the middle of the
night, as well as automatically collect statistics on how often and when
it's dying, which may help your correlate it to another event occuring
at the same time which is the root cause. If your watchdog script runs
frequently enough, users might not even notice it's down.

--
Prentice