[rhelv6-list] problem with rsyslog failing to log

Paul Reilly pareilly at tcd.ie
Thu Sep 22 09:57:30 UTC 2011

Hi,

I've a new stock install of RHEL 6.1 and having some trouble with rsyslog.
I've added some additional syslog facilities to log to different files.
In my /etc/rsyslog.conf  I have entries for

local1.*        /logs/app1.log
local2.*        /logs/app2.log

These files exist already, with 755 permissions. However when I restart
rsyslogd, I get the following errors:

Sep 21 17:29:23 sys rsyslogd-2039: Could no open output file
'/logs/app1.log' [try http://www.rsyslog.com/e/2039 ]

If I try to log to these with logger -p local1.info testmessage    the
message is not logged.
If remove the /logs/app1.log  file and restart rsyslogd it  does not create
the file, which is what sysklogd used to do. Where am I going wrong?

Paul