[rhelv6-list] problem with rsyslog failing to log

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 13:43:10 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 4:57 AM, Paul Reilly <pareilly at tcd.ie> wrote:

> These files exist already, with 755 permissions. However when I restart
> rsyslogd, I get the following errors:
> Sep 21 17:29:23 sys rsyslogd-2039: Could no open output file
> '/logs/app1.log' [try http://www.rsyslog.com/e/2039 ]
> If I try to log to these with logger -p local1.info testmessage    the
> message is not logged.
> If remove the /logs/app1.log  file and restart rsyslogd it  does not create
> the file, which is what sysklogd used to do. Where am I going wrong?

Offhand since /logs/ isn't a default supplied path, I'd say that these files
and directories may have improper selinux contexts, thus selinux would be
preventing the write. You could check this by using ls -lZ on the files, or
looking in the audit log (assuming you haven't messed with that one too) for
denies. The axe-wielding method of testing this would be 'setenforce 0',
restarting rsyslog and then testing with your logger command.

--
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary
act.