[rhelv6-list] Red Hat 6.2 update woes

Bill Watson bill at magicdigits.com
Fri Apr 6 23:29:04 UTC 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: rhelv6-list-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:rhelv6-list-bounces at redhat.com]
On Behalf Of Ian Mortimer
Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 7:12 PM
To: rhelv6-list at redhat.com
Subject: Re: [rhelv6-list] Red Hat 6.2 update woes
On Wed, 2012-04-04 at 10:21 -0700, Bill Watson wrote:
> The latest driver seems to have failed:
> 1) I loaded both the i686 and x86_64 driver iso's as the only 2 files
> on a usb memory stick.
Just copying the iso image onto the disk doesn't work. You'll need to use dd
like this:
dd if=DUP_el6_x86_64_20120402.iso of=/dev/sdc
Replace /dev/sdc with the device path for your usb key.
--
Ian

Thank you Ian. I have now dd'ed as suggested above. My destination happened
to be of=/dev/sdd1. RHEL6.2 Boot disk does not seem to work with this iso
file.
My *new* dialog was:
1)Boot the 6.2 Boot cd and TAB to choose options to install new system
2)Added linux dd to the default installation string
3)Do you have a driver disk? Yes
4)Where to load from?   sda
5)Multiple partitions.. (note only one partition shown, so not sure why it
whines here)  choose /dev/sda1

6)"Select the file which is your driver disk image" is the prompt. There are
NO disk images on this image of this iso file, only rpm's and such. Just for
fun, I tried to select pretty much every available file on the USB stick
that the dialog showed, but all said:
"Failed to load driver disk from file"

Either the test still fails, or I need further guidance.

The 6.2 Boot CD "felt" like it prefers iso files to be stored as files on
the USB stick instead of as a partition, but that is only a guess on my
part. This is *implied by the dialog phrase that starts 6) above.

Bill Watson
bill at magicdigits.com