[rhelv6-list] Red Hat 6.2 update woes

Bill Watson bill at magicdigits.com
Mon Apr 2 14:41:33 UTC 2012

Howdy,

I installed RHEL 6.0, then "yum update'ed to apply all patches. This fouled
my new kernel (2.6.32-220.7.1.el6.x86_64) with the following:
[drm:drm edid_block_valid] *ERROR* EDID checksum is invalid, remainder is 88
(repeated 3 more times) [drm] nouveau 0000:06:00:0 DDC responded, but no
EDID for VGA-1 Kernel panic I have a GdForce 8400GS IO Express 2.0 graphics
card w/DDR3 I got the system back up by booting the original kernel
(2.6.32-71.el6.x86_64).
My hardware is the GeGorce 8400GS, which appears to have some google infamy,
but nothing this recently.

There is no mention of RedHat on the video card website wvga.com in the
driver section. Is there a glimmer of hope that this card can work with RHEL
6.2?

Upon further research, I tried booting the kernel, and at the choose which
kernel screen, added: <nomodeset edid_force_checksum=1 nouveau.modeset=0>
This removed display of the EDID checksum errors, but still kernel panic'ed
with the dreaded: kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

All the helpful hinters said to check /var/log/* and this seemed to be
unhelpful since "not syncing" seems to also mean "not writing useful stuff
onto the log files". It is possible that though the following Adaptec 6805
card can read enough to boot, it doesn't see the filesystems when the kernel
takes over.

Also I have found that the Adaptec 6805 RAID SAS/SATA card is tough to
install. I did find a path where installing RHEL 6.0 does work. I have found
no path to install 6.2 directly. For quite a while I have found Adaptec to
be basically native to Red Hat, but this card is hostile to install.  As far
as that goes, I got RHEL 5.5 working, but not 5.8 for installation.

I saw a mention of  kmod-aacraid-1.1.7-3.el6.elrepo.x86_64.rpm  over on
Dag's http://elrepo.org/linux/elrepo/el6/x86_64/RPMS/ that sounded really
tempting to install, but I don't know if it would blow up my working
original kernel or not.
Until I am confident of a direction, I'd kind of like to keep this kernel
working so I can continue to try this and that.

Thanks all in advance,
Bill Watson
bill at magicdigits.com