[rhelv6-list] Seeing only ONE session/device instead of TWO

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Tue Apr 3 21:43:57 UTC 2012

On 04/03/2012 02:16 PM, Prashanth Sundaram wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am having some trouble with ISCSI to work on  RHEL 6.2. It currently
> is using 1 nic to connect to SAN and shows only 1 session instead of
> 2. I have configured TWO nics(em3 & em4) to perform multipathing and
> have verified that both can connect to SAN.
>
> Any ideas how to get multipath to work? I only see 1 device instead of
> 2 in multipath. Please see my config below.
>
> Another strange thing is that the iface_name has different MAC address
> than what ifconfig shows.

Two main issues.

On the same network, two interfaces need to negotiate ARP independently
of each other.  If not, a packet can exit one interface, and be sent a
response to another interface.  That does not work.

/etc/sysctl.conf needs to be adjusted for ARP by interface.
Clues:
# net
# net.ipv4.conf.all.arp_filter = 1
# net.ipv4.conf.all.rp_filter = 1
# net.ipv4.conf.default.arp_filter = 1
net.ipv4.conf.all.arp_ignore=1
net.ipv4.conf.all.arp_announce=2

ISCSI needs to be told that there are two interfaces, it does not know
it by default.

This is done by special files in: /var/lib/iscsi/ifaces

I don't have a sample nearby, but that should get you googleing ok.

Once that is in place, 'iscsiadm -m node -l' will show two logins for
every target.
If THAT happens, 'multipath -r' will show two connections per device.

Good Luck!